Let’s just put this out there….I love zucchini. I eat it almost every day. It’s delicious, versatile and super low in calories! Plus, it’s a low FODMAP food for those of you dealing with gut issues like IBS or SIBO. But enough about how good Zucchini is for your body! Let’s talk about how good it is for your taste buds!
I’ve been making a ton of Zoodles lately, just because it’s so easy to grill some chicken or shrimp in the summer months and just toss it in with the zucchini noodles. But it’s a bit cold for grilling and I felt like switching things up, and since the only veggies I had on-hand were zucchini (of course), tomato and onion….I decided to toss them together in a casserole. The result was ahhh-mazing. So good, in fact, that my veggie-hating 2 year-old had 3 big helpings. Must’ve been all the butter. But butter is a clean food, my friends. Do NOT fear the butter!!
Okay, here’s the recipe.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes. Cook Time: 55 Minutes.
2 Medium-Sized Zucchini, Sliced into rounds.
2 Large Tomatoes, Sliced (I just pulled some from the garden)
1/8 Cup Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Teaspoon Fresh Oregano, Finely Chopped
1 Teaspoon Fresh Basil, Finely Chopped
1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded or Grated
1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
3/4 Cup Gluten Free Bread Crumbs (I used Gutino, which you can find at Whole Foods, Target or even Big Lots)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter a 9×9-inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine Cheddar, Parmesan, oregano, basil, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
3. Arrange half of the zucchini slices in the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and herb mixture on top. Arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
4. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in breadcrumbs; cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
5. Cover loosely with foil, and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.