This time of year, I am pumpkin obsessed! Pumpkin candles, pumpkin coffee and, of course, pumpkin foods. I had a few overly-ripe bananas I needed to get rid of, so I decided to use them as a sweetener and make some muffins. These turned out surprisingly moist and delicious, despite the lack of oh-so-delicious gluten. And they were simple to make!
Yields 12 muffins.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 bananas, very ripe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1 to 1 flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup pistachios, smashed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl, melt butter and honey, then add bananas and mash well.
- Add sugar and pumpkin, mix well.
- Stir in egg, vanilla and finally dry ingredients.
- Make sure batter is mixed well, then spoon evenly into liners.
- Mix smashed pistachios, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl or ziplock bag, then sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Continue baking for 16 more minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.