I know a lot of couples who are adamantly against Valentine’s Day. They refer to it as a “Hallmark Holiday” and, to some extent, I agree. But while this holiday may be a bit cheesy, women always (and I mean always) enjoy a little spoiling and extra sentiment. But I’m not talking about the same old dozen roses, heart-shaped box of chocolates or chalky-flavored candy asking her to “Be True” or “Kiss Me.” Not a great choice, fellas. But rather than tell you what not to do, because I trust that you guys have been around the block long enough to figure that much out, I’m going to offer you some ideas on how to show your special lady just how much she means to you this Valentine’s Day. And if you play your cards right, she just may return the favor next month on March 14th 😉
*I’ve even taken the liberty of listing my ideas in order of least to most expensive. But read all the way through….she’s worth it.
- Wine. $-$$ Almost every woman loves wine. It’s delicious, calming, aphrodesiac….you get where I’m going with this. You can’t go wrong with wine, unless she’s a recovering alcoholic or refrains from alcohol for some other reason. Choose a bottle of wine you know she loves, or take a wild guess. Even better, gift her a membership to a wine club and let the wine flow year round!
- Unique Gifts. $-$$ When it comes to gift giving, ladies like one-of-a-kind. We want something that shows you thought outside of the box and considered our unique tastes and interests. Does your girlfriend like gardening? Gift her a set of feminine garden gloves like these. Does your partner enjoy beauty products? Try a Birchbox subscription. Is she into arts & crafts? Check out this DIY Lip Balm kit! Does your woman love to accessorize? How about a piece of handmade custom jewelry like this beaded tassel necklace? Choosing a unique gift can get pricey, but it really doesn’t have to. Think about what your special someone likes and take advantage of the world wide web.
- Practical Gifts. $-$$$ Your woman works hard, year round, to contribute to the finances, maintain a neat and welcoming home, chase after kids and pets. It might be that all she really needs is some R&R! Maybe a gift certificate to her favorite yoga studio would help lighten her burden, financially and emotionally. Perhaps a cleaning service for the house (I know I would be over the moon excited for this one.) Don’t have a lot of extra cash? Make her a handmade book filled with coupons for a night off from doing dishes or an entire meal cooked for her! Another great idea….have her car detailed. Women tend to have messy cars, and not a whole lot of motivation to get on our hands and knees to clean them out. Again, you can do this yourself if you’re on a tight budget. Don’t be afraid to get her something she could really use, if it will make her life easier or more comfortable. Just don’t buy her a vaccum!
- The Creative Date. $$-$$$ Is your girl more of the quality time over gift-giving type? Try speaking her love language this year and giving her an evening of uninterrupted time with you. Get creative. Is there a new restaurant in town she’s been mentioning? Or maybe a small theatre in your neighborhood is playing old romantic movies? Perhaps a pottery-making experience where you can role-play the famous scene from Ghost. Even a museum or an historic tour of your nearest city may charm her. Does she work long hours on her feet? A couples massage may be just what you need! Think movie romance, but keep her unique interests in mind.
- The Trip. $$$-$$$$ I know, I know. Unless you’re a true Romeo, or you’re planning to propose, you probably haven’t considered taking her on a trip. But imagine her excitement if you told her to pack a bag because you were taking her away for a surprise getaway! Trust me, guys. THIS is the way to sweep her off her feet and reward her for all she does for you the whole year through. This one will cost you a bit more, but it doesn’t have to break the bank. You can find cheap rooms at bed & breakfasts or private cabins on websites like AirBNB or VRBO. Just be sure to pack the essentials, like bubble bath, massage oils, candles & wine!
Of course, you can always resort to the traditional candies and flowers. But I promise you, if you put a little effort in, you and your special someone will enjoy a blissful Valentine’s Day that will carry over into the rest of the year. Enjoy!