Before we dive in to this deliciousness, I have to say one thing….VEGGETTI. I know, it sounds a little silly. But it’s a must-have for your kitchen. So much easier to use and clean than a mandolin or spiralizer (and less expensive at about $10). You’re welcome.
Okay, onto it.
This recipe is a bit involved. I typically keep my meals quick and easy because I’m a busy, working mom. But occasionally, I feel like I deserve a little something special. This is one of those special meals.
Zoodles with Butternut Squash & Rosemary Cream Sauce
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 1 Hour
1 Butternut Squash, Medium-sized
3 Tablespoons Ghee ((or Coconut Oil for Paleo))
1 Onion, Medium-sized, Chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
3-4 Large Zucchini, Spiralized (I prefer the thicker setting on the Veggetti, like fettuccine)
1 Pound Mushrooms, Chopped. (Shitake or Baby Bella are good)
2 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary, Finely Chopped
1 Cup Coconut Milk (Full-Fat only)
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth (I use my own bone broth!)
Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Slice butternut squash in half lengthwise. Grease a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and lay butternut squash (flesh-side down).
3. Roast for 30 – 45 minutes, until squash is tender and flesh can easily be pierced with a fork. Once it’s fully cooked, allow squash to cool, then scoop out the flesh (this should yield about 5 cups of flesh) and discard the skin. Add flesh to a blender.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or ghee to a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 3 – 5 minutes, until onion is translucent.
5. Next, add the sauteed garlic & onions, rosemary, coconut milk, broth, and salt to the blender with the squash. Blend until smooth.
6. Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil/ghee to a large pan. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 2 minutes, until they are just starting to brown. Then add the zoodles and cook for about 3 minutes, until almost tender. Add the sauce to the pan and continue to cook until sauce is hot and zoodles are tender.
Add salt & pepper to taste and serve hot.